Cisco Wireless Review

Allows us to deploy a wide range of wireless products with stable WiFi

What is our primary use case?

Devices are used across campuses covering three elementary schools and one high school; over 1000 students. The devices that are in use are MR33 with 200 installed.

Hardware features:

• Three radios: 2.4 and 5 GHz, dual-band WIDS/WIPS
  • 2-stream 802.11ac and 802.11n, up to 1.3 Gbps
  • Integrated BLE radio
  • 2x2 MU-MIMO 802.11ac Wave 2
  • Up to 1.3 Gbps aggregate dual-band frame rate
  • 802.3af PoE compatible

How has it helped my organization?

It give us scalability, integrated enterprise security and guest access, it's self-configuring, plug-and-play deployment. It’s allowed us to deploy a wide range of wireless products, with industry-class WiFi that’s stable and able to grow with our needs.

What is most valuable?

• The latest 2×2 MU-MIMO 802.11ac Wave 2 WiFi
  • Four port Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 switch
  • 1.3 Gbps aggregate dual-band frame rate
  • 24×7 real-time WIPS/WIDS, spectrum analytics, and WiFi
  • Integrated BLE Beacon and scanning radio
  • Integrated enterprise security and guest access
  • Optimised for voice and video
  • Self-configuring, plug-and-play deployment

What needs improvement?

Cost.

Also, it is slow to update configurations, with cloud access, no way to configure devices locally, network data information is hard to find.

What other advice do I have?

The device works very well and distributes a good signal across the four sites. Overall, during my brief use of the Meraki MR33, I feel like I have barely scratched the surface of its features. Deploying a full Meraki system provides even more features, allowing you to break down the network and identify specific points of failure. The switches can even detect cable issues which quite often can be the main cause for a call-out within my business. I would rate it nine out of 10.