Cisco Wireless Review

FlexConnect allows us to have multiple locations and a central WLC to control them

What is our primary use case?

We use it to provide Wi-Fi solutions at business centers, malls, for healthcare, and in public parks.

What is most valuable?

For me, there are two important features:

1. WLAN grouping – Allows us to have different groups and, within those groups, specific WLANs, so there is no overlapping.
  2. FlexConnect – Enables us to have remote offices at different locations. We can have a central WLC to control all the locations.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement regarding HA issues and Radius integration.

More than five years.

No real issues with stability. It’s pretty stable. We can have a backup, and restoring is easy.

Scalability depends on the design. It supports most variations like VOIP and Multicast. At times, we may face interference issues with other devices like 3G, 4G, or smartphones.

Cisco TAC (technical assistance center) is one of the best tech support teams around.

I did use HPE's Aruba solution, but not that extensively.

The initial setup is straightforward. Anyone who knows VLAN and radio/frequency concepts can set it up. It’s pretty self-explanatory.

Pricing is a bit on the high side compared to its competitors but we have to consider the support and usages of the solution.

Licensing is now RTU and smart licensing. We need three types of licenses, one for the:

• APs
  • HA
  • controller.

HPE Aruba.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Cisco Wireless at eight out of 10 because of its ease of installation on virtual platforms, on appliances. It is easy to maintain and configurations are straightforward. It provides the flexibility to create and integrate with many social Wi-Fi solutions. It is a reliable and stable solution. The ROI is very good.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Cisco Gold Partner.