Citrix NetScaler Unified Gateway Review

Has the ability to be used in all types of environments, on-premise, cloud, or hybrid deployments

How has it helped my organization?

I work for a Citrix Partner, so Citrix Netscaler (now ADC) is one the pillars for our sollutions. we propose and implement for our customers. For them, security is the main gain as well as service, availability, flexibility for moving the workloads within different environments, and using different hybrids.
Aside the funtionality and features, it's simple and very user-friendly to deploy and maintain.

What is most valuable?

I've found the security features like web application firewall, the tri-scale capability  as well  the portability. You can have the NetScaler platform in different formats, you can have it as regular physical appliance, virtual appliance, on a container, multi-tenant appliances, and even on bare metal. there are, of course, some minor diferences related to the platform the physical resources you're using, but the code and funtionality is basically the same. it gives you a lot of flexibility.

What needs improvement?

The solution is already very feature rich, but there are also points for improvement.
Fortunatelly, at least so far and with the projects we've been involved, Citrix Support and engineering teams are very responsive and very willing to align with customer specific requests to develop new functionality and enrich the solution.

For the next releases, i'm expecting (even) more focus on visibility and analytics.

I've been using the solution for 12 years.

it is very stable. and even the upgrade processes are very strainghforward.

It's very scalable. You have the tri-scaler capaability with which you can use and have up to 32 NetScaler ADC nodes.

It's software, it has its bugs, it's normal. The support has been very helpful. The engineering team is also responsive. From time to time we find a new bug and there's a good response from the support and the engineering team. They tend to solve it for instance, with a new version or by internally developing a specific patch.

We normally try to evaluate other options depending on the customers use case and objectives, but somehow we end up sticking with Citrix ADC since with we've started working with it.

Basic setup to have a ADC up and running is very simple, but integrating really depends on the customer environment and objectives.
We have customers that use it for everything, that can have more complexity so it depends on the environment.

I would say that generally, it's not complicated. You don't have to learn a specific language, or go very deep on a CLI.  It's not a big deal.

As mentioned before, setup is fairly simple and documented on the Citrix eDocs.
there's a lot of information and how-to articles which facilitates all the setup.

The new pooled licensing model also can be very useful in hybrid or wide deployments.

yes, the major players on the ADC and remote access space.

What other advice do I have?

You don't have a very steep learning curve as you do with other vendors. In terms of manageability, I think it's easy, and there's also available some tools like Citrix ADM which facilitates all the operation.

I would definitely recommend this solution.  It's very straightforward and easy to use.
can be used in a lot os use cases, from the pure traffic management, secure remote access to protecting critical web sites.

There's also a wide and participative community using the solution, so the use case and issue you face probably is already "googlable".

I would give this solution a nine out of 10.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Citrix Partner.