Citrix ShareFile Review
You can securely share files externally without storing your data in the cloud.

What is our primary use case?

We primarily utilize the product to provide file share access to our mobile users on their iPhones and iPads. ShareFile also prevents use from needing to use any public share provider such as DropBox. We are able to share and request files via ShareFile and ensure the are safely transferred.

What is most valuable?

ShareFile gives you all of the features of cloud providers, but in an on-premises solution. Therefore, you can securely share files externally without storing your data in the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to securely share large files by providing external partners the ability to download or upload data. There is also a notification feature that lets the user know a file has been downloaded or uploaded. This prevents someone from saying they did not receive the file.

What needs improvement?

The user interface is fairly straightforward and easy to understand. The configuration on the mobile devices is a little clunky, in terms of setting up the application. For the account information, you need to enter it in the format of domain\user. For example, to get to the "\" on an iPhone, the users must hit the "123" key, then the "#+=" key to get to the "\". It would be better if it accepted a username@domainname format.

We have been using this solution for three years.

There were no issues encountered with the deployment. However, we also utilize Citrix NetScalers, which ease the deployment and configuration of ShareFile.

There have not been any issues with the product's stability.

Since we use a back end NAS to store the files, there has not been a need for any scaling within ShareFile.

Citrix support and customer service has always been excellent.

Citrix technical support for ShareFile has always been excellent. Support for ShareFile is currently based out of Raleigh, NC. This is where ShareFile originated from, before Citrix purchased them.

There was not a previous product used. We were specifically looking for an on-premises solution.

The setup was fairly straightforward, if you are also utilizing NetScalers. I can only speak of setting it up for an on-premises solution. There are certificates that are needed as part of the setup process, so ensure you have checked for those and procured them ahead of time.

The majority of the implementation was performed in-house. Any configuration issues or questions that were encountered were handled with a call to ShareFile support.

The licensing being included as part of our Platinum agreement, and the fact that we utilize existing internal storage, avoids our having to pay for a third-party cloud provider service for our associates to share files externally. It also provides users of mobile devices with secure access to their network shares from their devices. This is extremely helpful to those who travel frequently or who perform presentations from their tablets.

If you are already a Citrix customer, I recommend having the Platinum licensing level, as it provides licensing for a number of various features that all integrate together.

There were really no other on-premises solutions at the time. We were already a major Citrix customer, so no other solutions were evaluated.