Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops Review

If you have all of the network requirements in place, it takes 4-6 hours to have the infrastructure working in a production environment.

What is most valuable?

The stars from this solution are its NetScaler and profile manager.

How has it helped my organization?

This was a breakthrough for us; we reduced our user base from 2000 client machines with Windows OS and all applications installed on all computers and so on, to 40 application servers and 2000 thin clients that don’t need any management. If one has a problem, it’s replaced.

What needs improvement?

Many of the improvements that we have identified for this version already appear in the newer version. For this version, we thought they could improve management access to the applications, organization in the console, and revise server management – these are in newer versions.

The solution has been in production for three years.

The solution has been in production for three years with no major problems; zero down time from the solution.

No scalability issues at all; in the beginning, we had only 20 application servers and 900 users. At this time, we have double the application servers and more than double the number of users. The process was straightforward.

The level of support is very good. We have support from a company that is Citrix certified and if we need some core development, such as in the client for end users, Citrix had been wonderful.

I did not previously use a different solution. This was the solution that we chose for the business need that we had at the time. And from the search conducted at the time, this was the best solution for us.

The solution was straightforward; it’s like, if all of the network requirements have been done, it takes 4-6 hours to have the infrastructure working in a production environment.

Thera are two types of licensing, per user or per device. This is a point that needs a lot of attention. It varies from case to case. In the infrastructure that I administrate, the (concurrent) per-user license was the best choice.

At the time, we did not evaluate other options. This was the best solution available for us.

What other advice do I have?

Citrix have online sites that help designing, planning and implementing the solution; use them.

It’s a strong solution for application virtualization. Works on a Windows server base, so compatibility with applications is easier.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company and Citrix have had some projects together. My company is mainly a telecommunication provider, so we provided the communications and Citrix provided the solution.
More Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops reviews from users
...who compared it with VMware Horizon View
1 Comment

author avatarit_user331290 (Network Admin at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees)

In the field of IT administrators, System Administrators even don't have proper knowledge of Application Virtualization, they are using traditional seprate desktops for their requirements. XenApp is the world leader in application Virtualization.