Citrix Workspace Review

A stable, reliable, and scalable solution with good support and very useful VDI feature

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for enabling remote workers.

How has it helped my organization?

The primary example right now is the pandemic. People can work remotely without having to use VPNs. We prefer people connecting from home to an institutional system, rather than bringing every random person's home system into our internal network via VPN.

What is most valuable?

The basic virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) feature is most valuable. We were lucky to have it in place when the pandemic hit. It is used very heavily now.

What needs improvement?

They can simplify the process of printers. Printers were quite a difficult issue. It took us a long time to iron this issue out.

We have the most simple use case where people connect from home to either a virtual machine or their physical desktop. We tried more complex solutions like Machine Creation Services, and they were more overhead than they were worth for us. I found them difficult to work with and confusing, and they were not worth the work for us.

The basic VDI is quite good. It is pretty stable and reliable.

It is very scalable. We have 400 end users.

I have used them, and in general, I have been very happy.

Citrix is the only VDI I have used.

It was in place when I was hired. I have been involved with upgrades. Mostly, I have just been filling out the infrastructure and adding more machines. My supervisor was the one who handled the setup.

For its administration, we have two FTEs: myself and a senior systems engineer. There are a couple of other systems administrators who spend a little bit of time working on it. It requires nonstop maintenance every day. It requires four to five hours a day.

I'm not involved with the money aspect at all, but from my perspective, we've got a very good ROI. Particularly during the pandemic, it has enabled the institution to keep working. We seamlessly transitioned to an entirely remote workspace.

We are just now approaching the end of our initial purchase, which was an excellent price for us as an academic institution. We got a very good deal to get us on board. That license is up for renewal in about a year, and we are nervously waiting to see what the pricing will be.

I know that other vendors were evaluated. I was not part of that. It was before I was hired.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution, but it is not always a straightforward solution. Don't underestimate the complexity of a large-scale deployment of infrastructure like this.

I would rate Citrix Workspace an eight out of ten.

More Citrix Workspace reviews from users
...who compared it with VMware Workstation
Find out what your peers are saying about Citrix, Microsoft, VMware and others in Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI). Updated: June 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.