Clarity Review

Not read-only, allows us to update numbers and forecasts, but needs full HTML5 compliance

How has it helped my organization?

This product has allowed us to build a time tracking tool tailored exactly to our needs.

What is most valuable?

The ability to update numbers and also do reporting is a differentiator. Most BI products are read-only. This tool allows users to change information, to update forecasts, and other business processes.

What needs improvement?

The product needs to be updated to use the most recent versions of MS Office. It also needs to be updated to be fully HTML5 compliant.

More than five years.

Similar to my comments on scalability.

The product does not scale well. It relies on Microsoft Analysis Services which has inherent challenges with scaling.

At this time, most folks with knowledge of this technology have transitioned to newer technology. Certant may revive the product, so things may change, given the change of ownership this year.

I’ve also used Oracle Essbase, Board and IBM TM1.

The initial setup can be complex. For an experienced professional, it still takes two days at least.

Pricing will be very competitive now that Certant has decided to revive it.

Anyone looking at this product should also consider IBM Planning Analytics, Host Analytics, Board, MicroStrategy and Adaptive Planning.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it a seven out of 10 because, for the price point, it was very competitive over the past decade. However, since development stopped, it has been surpassed by other competitors in price and functionality (Board, Host Analytics, Planning Analytics).

Be sure to break an implementation into small agile chunks/releases. Having confidence in the data and process is critical. That will only come if you take small, slow, strategic steps.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a consultancy. Our team has experience with the Clarity product, but our interest is in upgrading customers from Clarity to something newer.