CloudEndure Live Migration Review

Easy to configure and use, but the vendor should offer an upfront choice of target server

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we use to assist our customers. The primary use of this solution is to transfer data from on-premises to the cloud.

One of my customers is using an SAP application and they used CloudEndure Live Migration to take it from on-premises to the cloud, whether it be AWS or another provider. I have other similar use case examples, such as a Salesforce application migration, and another situation where it is being used as a DR solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the live, block-to-block replication. Using this feature means that I will not miss out on any of the data and I can restore it on-premises if it becomes lost or corrupted. It is easy to handle the management of data between the on-premises and cloud servers.

What needs improvement?

One drawback to using CloudEndure is that the default is to give one small, lightweight server, which is created in the cloud. From there, we need to switch over to the actual target server. My customers do not want to pay for both the lightweight instance and target instance when they only use one of them.

I have been using CloudEndure for about six months.

CloudEndure Live Migration is quite stable.

Depending on the use case, it may be used more or less frequently. Prior to the situation with the COVID-19 lockdown, we had perhaps two or three migration cases in a year. These days, however, there are a larger number of them.

This solution is quite easy to scale and expand. For example, I am now using two or three servers and if I want to add one, it can be done easily.

I have several clients who are using this solution for migration to the cloud, as well as for DR purposes.

I have never been in touch with the CloudEndure technical team. The only support that I have needed is with a specific cloud provider or OEM.

For certain customers, I have recommended different solutions depending on their requirements and use cases. For example, I recommended the AWS Server Migration Service for one customer. Similarly, I recommended the DBSync product for another who wanted a DR solution.

I have also implemented CloudBerry Backup (now called MSP360 Backup) for a couple of customers, although these are rare.

For somebody who is experienced with this tool, it is quite simple to set up. That said, for some who are newer to it, this tool can be quite tricky to configure.

The length of time for deployment depends on the number of on-premises servers that you have. On average, I would say that each on-premises server will require half a day.

I handle the implementation and deployment of this solution for my clients. If I have trouble with cloud-related or OEM-level issues then I will contact the technical support from the provider. Otherwise, I will handle it end-to-end.

We take care of maintenance that has to be done on the cloud. For the on-premises maintenance, the customer is responsible for it. The vendor will assist with cloud maintenance, as well, if there is a problem.

What other advice do I have?

CloudEndure is a product that I recommend to my customers because it's very easy to implement, configure, and use. Also, the vendor does not charge for the migration itself. Rather, they only begin charging the customer once the data has been transferred.

Overall, this is a good solution, although there are some drawbacks to it so it is not perfect.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud