Cloudera Data Science Workbench Review

Customizable, easy to install, and easy to use

What is our primary use case?

I am a professor and this is one of the solutions that I use as a teaching tool for my students.

The most recent version can be used by the students while they are working in the labs because our hardware has sufficient RAM to run it. However, many of the students have laptops that do not have enough RAM, so they cannot work with it outside of the labs. In this case, the students are able to use an older version with lesser demand on hardware requirements.

What is most valuable?

The Cloudera Data Science Workbench is customizable and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Running this solution requires a minimum of 12GB to 16GB of RAM.

In the future, I would like to see a student version of the Data Science Workbench that includes sample datasets that can be used for teaching purposes.

I have been working with Cloudera for a few years.

It is a stable product.

We found this solution a little bit difficult to scale. When we wanted to run it as a multi-cluster we had some issues, which is what made it difficult. We have approximately 200 students who use Cloudera to develop programs and complete projects.

I am satisfied with the technical support from the vendor.

This solution is very easy to install. In fact, all you do is open it in the virtual machine.

What other advice do I have?