Cloudera Distribution for Hadoop Review

We were trying AWS Impala as well, but Cloudera won as it had more functionality with HUE, Sqoop, and Solr as built-in functions. At times, heavy queries do not finish at all.

What is most valuable?

Mostly HUE, Impala, Sqoop, and Hive. The impala-shell command is number one.

How has it helped my organization?

We are working on research for genomic data looking for specific genes and variances. Even Hive was not good enough to process it correctly, only with Impala are we getting results quicker.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes the heavy queries do not finish at all. It would be good to see the progress of heavy script in the impala shell or get some way to access it.

We started to use Cloudera about one-and-a-half years ago.

We are having some issues with stability and are speaking to Cloudera support.

It's acceptable.

It's acceptable.

We have struggled a bit in installing and configuring Cloudera Manager on the AWS cluster. For now, it is good.

We did the implementation only using our team and resources. It was a hard start, but an easy landing.

What other advice do I have?

Cloudera is good for mid to big company, but small ones can use AWS Impala/HUE. Go to training, or you are going to spend many hours to find short answers. The Cloudera solution is big with good documentation, but you need to know what and where to read first.

More Cloudera Distribution for Hadoop reviews from users