Cloudera Distribution for Hadoop Review

​The Cloudera Manager administrator webpage simplifies the administration tasks.

What is most valuable?

The Cloudera Manager administrator webpage simplifies the administration tasks and helps to maintain a global overview of the cluster performance.

How has it helped my organization?

We are moving from an standard SQL environment (Oracle DataWarehouse) to a Big Data environment, and the Hadoop cluster will be the key of our new organization. It will allow to scale in an easy namer.

What needs improvement?

We found some difficulties when importing Hive tables from another Cluster.

I want to point the fact that we encounter many problems related to the cloud storage and how resources are managed. Our learning has been that, although it is quite simple to deploy single machines on the cloud, deploying clusters of machines is much more complex as many factors need to be considered: individual machines, connectivity across machines, storage.

I've used it for three months.

We found some issues but were related with the hardware provider. For the moment I have not detected any problem from the Cloudera software point of view.

Technical support is really efficient.

We chose this product as it is considered a market standard and due to its wide documentation on the web. I evaluated other options but the fact that now it is becoming an standard for many companies helped me to choose this option.

In the cloud environment where we deployed (Azure Resource Manager) there was a ready-to-deploy template which simplified a lot the initial set-up.

We implemented with an in-house team. Our initial idea was to stop the cluster during the weekends and when there was no usage. However, we found strong difficulties and we were not able to start programmatically the whole cluster, so finally we left the cluster working all the time.

This issues were mainly related with the cloud provider and how this provider manages the resources for the cluster machines.

From our point of view it is a long-time investment. We hope to get the ROI in the following years.

What other advice do I have?

I am very comfortable with this product. The combination of Cloudera Manager administrator server, which allows the management of the Hadoop Cluster, and the Hue server, which simplifies the use make this product a current standard on the market. Perhaps it lacks a full integration of all its components.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company has a partnership relation with the vendor.