Cloudera Distribution for Hadoop Review

We use this solution to use big data for our analyses

What is our primary use case?

Our core product is an insurance product and the actuarial module is quite complex. SMEs so far collect data from various sources into Excel sheets and through macros do the analytics which is a very crude form of doing the analysis. So we thought to use big data for such analysis.

How has it helped my organization?

That is still in PUC stage, as I have mentioned our analyst used to do the actuarial on a spreadsheet but after Hadoop  implementation they are getting confidence that now analysis is more appropriate and fast. Now exploring cloud implementation as well.

What is most valuable?

Keeping multi copies of the file and tools of map reduce like PIG, HIVE due to their flexibility it is easy to develop the application with less or almost no knowledge of Java and Sql. And capability to handle huge data size.

What needs improvement?

As such in the product side, I don't have much to comment. But like other upcoming technologies like RPA, AI, GO etc they have ample training materials with variety of USE Cases, which users can understand and aligned with their current requirements. On same ground I didn't see much training materials from Cloudera.

Seems quite stable, as such didn't face any issue.

It is very stable, didn't face any performance issue.

No when we were heard of Hadoop, we tried on that only. I mean tried to migrate from spreadsheets to Hadoop.

Very straight forward. Typical Windows type installation...Next, next, next clicks.

In-house.

Other department handles all these so I can't comment on that.

Not really.