Cloudera Distribution for Hadoop Review

Supports a wide range of tools and has a good support community

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to host a big amount of data in our platform, processing, analysis and all of this stuff on the platform.

What is most valuable?

Cloudera is always developing new tools and supports a wide range of tools. We also really like the Cloudera community. You can have any question and will have your answer within a few hours. Cloudera is better than other competitors because they acquired Hortonworks.

What needs improvement?

We're processing a huge amount of data on our system. Without the big data environment, we cannot store all of this data live. We have billions of records and terabytes of storage to be used. It's not an option actually for us to have a big data environment. Cloudera is trying to adopt new technologies.

I think the idea of open source tools now is dominating. So Cloudera has to decide how to deal with open-source tools. I subscribe to Cloudera to get an enterprise version but I have found that I can get some of its features from other vendors that would be at a lower cost than Cloudera. They should lower the price.

We have been using Cloudera for a year.

It's stable. I have no issue regarding the stability.

It's scalable. You can add more nodes and you can expand your cluster easily.

After we open a ticket, the issue can be resolved very quickly, they have a management portal. I don't contact them directly, but I haven't heard anybody having any problems with it.

The initial setup is complicated. We needed the vendor to install it themselves. The deployment took around three weeks. Three people were involved because they just follow up and supervise the deployment, but they're not deploying anything. The vendor does it.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of the advice, I would say to focus on what tools are available on the market. In terms of open-source, most companies are delivering open source technologies and providing support to these tools. Now I have the option to purchase a license for whatever platform for $1. I can deliver it with another small company at a lower cost. If I was the decision-maker, I'd invest in open-source tools. Cloudera and all of these companies are trying to adapt to these big data technologies and open source tools. Cloudera is trying to put it inside their platform so that we can have a compatible solution.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

5.X
More Cloudera Distribution for Hadoop reviews from users
...who compared it with Oracle NoSQL
Learn what your peers think about Cloudera Distribution for Hadoop. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
513,091 professionals have used our research since 2012.