Cloudflare Review

Robust, secure and innovative; technical support needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case would be as an immediate wrapper-type security solution as opposed to other solutions which put an in-point monitor on a workstation. I'm the VP of our company and director of IT.

What is most valuable?

They've implemented a tunneling system. It's not quite VPN, but it's not quite HTTP traffic, either. It's a very robust and different system which, in my opinion, is what needs to be done. New and innovative ways to protect the client's data should be the focus.

What needs improvement?

I think they have failed with their technical support. I feel I would have gotten to a solution faster, quicker, and more efficiently if they would have been there to just answer a couple of questions. I had to read so much documentation to validate what I was about to do versus what I had already known I could do. They almost lost me as a customer and it was only because I had a bit of time and the gumption, the drive to keep going. I'm glad I did, but I'm not happy with the road. It was bumpy.

I've been using this solution for about three months.

Stability is great. I love their mechanisms, I love their GUI, I love their front end, I love their behind the scenes. Algorithms and everything, it all makes sense. I look at Microsoft and I say, you just don't make sense anymore. If you've been working in this industry for long enough, you know what makes sense and what doesn't make sense. And this box ware makes a lot of sense.

The solution is open ended like with Cisco so quite scalable. I'm the only one using it and, at this point, I'm probably using 2% of their overall capacity. We're in the process of reevaluating our presence on the cloud, our data on the cloud and our ability to do work in the cloud.

I've tried to contact technical support three times without any luck. I found the solution myself. If I look at the community, I see others have experienced the same issue.

I carried out a comparison of Cloudflare with Call Ways, which was a good runner-up. Not only because of the sophistication of their cloud monitoring system, but they also have zero remediation, which means that they will tell you that you've got a problem even though they can't fix it. I'm also looking at Support Net as a primary firewall to replace the firewalls that I'm going to retire. I accidentally found Cloudflare, which offered me a lot more than any of the other companies, because the first thing it did was to encrypt all my traffic. Microsoft had failed us and as a result I had to shut everything down for three days and reconfigure firewalls and everything before bringing it all back up again.

On this particular system, I didn't have as much budget as I would have liked, but I still had the redundancy that I wanted. The complexity was that things don't work the way they used to so I had to rethink things. In the end, deployment for the actual solution took about 10 minutes. It was a matter of just literally giving them a credit card and flipping a switch. It's been fine ever since.

All my data was encrypted before the hackers got past two firewalls. Encrypting your data does not keep hackers from getting in. In that respect, Cloudflare has proved to be a huge benefit for us.

For now, the cost of Cloudflare is very reasonable compared to everything else. It's hard to say what will be down the track. Sometimes these companies offer very good deals early on and then annual fees increase as the companies become more successful.

What other advice do I have?

There is a lot of documentation and I would recommend reading it. I think that's how they want their tech support to work, through community. The community doesn't talk so well with each other like the Microsoft community because Microsoft's been around a lot longer. It isn't quite working perfectly yet and they don't have experts to answer the questions. They want the users to come to the realization for themselves, based on what I see in the conversations in the communities. It's a millennial mentality. We don't have to be involved, we'll just make the product and let them solve their own problems. That's an issue for me.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

More Cloudflare reviews from users