Cloudflare Review
I needed to do something differently because we were getting hacked often.

I’ve been with CloudFlare for a year and a half at the time of writing this post and realized that I never gave it a review of any kind. What kind of terrible person am I?

I worked for a couple a few years ago who was using a content management system called Joomla to build their clients’ sites. We would launch a site by simply pointing the DNS settings to our servers and calling it good.

Then we started getting hacked. A lot.

With the number of sites we had on our server, the exploits found in the plugins being used, as well as poor server practices, we had a huge target on our chest.

A while later I decided to leave to company to go on to do other things. One of those things was to open my own web development and hosting shop.

First things first: Get away from Joomla.

Next: Learn WordPress.

Now let’s get a server setup.

The first thing I did when I got my server setup was make sure that no one was allowed to host on my server unless we ran all of the DNS through CloudFlare. No exceptions.

A couple of things I noticed when I got all this in place:

• My sites ran faster
  • My server load was lower

Most importantly: My sites never got hacked (fingers crossed).

I attribute the latter to a couple of things, but mostly I would like to think that CloudFlare had a huge part in that. If you don’t know what CloudFlare is, watch their promotional video.

Here’s some other cool stuff about this site from the last 30 days:

• CloudFlare saved me more than 54,000 server requests
  • Cloudflare saved me more than 600 MB of bandwidth
  • Cloudflare blocked 50 threats to my site

And how much do I pay for CloudFlare? Nothing.

That’s pretty amazing stuff! I didn’t have to pay anything for better website security and reduced server load.

If you’re looking for the same, be sure to go get signed up at CloudFlare. It’s easy to setup and the results speak for themselves.