Cloudflare Review

Brings enterprise-grade features to my small business clients at low or no cost

What is our primary use case?

I use this for DNS for many of my former clients and personal sites. When using services like Heroku, Cloudflare is very useful for CNAME flattening. I also use it for their end-to-end SSL with TLS authentication on nginx for securing servers.

The second major use case is as a CDN where I will push logic to the edge for caching and redirects.

How has it helped my organization?

I have not used it at my current organization, but in the past I have used it to bring enterprise-grade features to my small business clients at low or no cost.

What is most valuable?

Centralized, full-featured DNS.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes their more advanced caching tools can cause higher first-byte times and problems with JavaScript.

They also lack a good way to manage DNS as a company, since everything is relegated to single account logins until you get to the higher levels. They have come out with a paid feature to remedy this, but I have not had a chance to fully review it yet to know if it fixes the access problem.

More than five years.

There has been some downtime over the years, but it was usually handled well.

I have only scaled this to a few million viewers with a couple TB of traffic, but I didn’t see any issues.

I have mainly been on their lower accounts which don’t really come with support.

I have used a couple of different solutions like Incapsula, CloudFront, and Akamai, but for different projects, not before or after.

It is very easy for someone who knows DNS. It is somewhat opinionated and pushes you into higher tiers, but overall it is easy.

You can get a lot out of the lower accounts.

I have used several in the space and I still use, Route 53, DynDNS, etc.

What other advice do I have?

This product is good for simple things, but you may need other tools for more fine-grained control of specific portions.