Cloudian HyperStore Review

A reasonable-priced and durable solution for storing our company backup data

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for storing our backups.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the durability. It is very durable and that is particularly important.

What needs improvement?

It is a cloud-based environment and at times, it is not very simple to use. I would like to see it more user-friendly and easy to use.

I would like to see better integration with HyperFile.

We have been using Cloudian HyperStore for six months.

This solution is quite stable and we haven't had any problems.

In the time that we have been using Cloudian HyperStore, we haven't added capacity to it. My understanding is that it is not difficult to expand, so it's clearly scalable but I don't know how easy it is. This is something that we expect to find out in the future.

We have been in contact with technical support, back from the point where it was first installed. Most of the time, our interaction with them has been quite good.

Prior to this, we were using Commvault with EMC Isilon hardware. We switched because the EMC maintenance is very expensive and it was cheaper to buy a new solution, compared to maintaining the old one. As it is now, we don't have to pay a lot for maintenance.

This is clearly a product that you cannot deploy by yourself.

The installation was quite fast. In two days, we had the software installed on the new hardware. For the entire solution, however, you need more time. We had to migrate our data to the new infrastructure, for example. In total, it took us about one month to deploy.

The setup and deployment were done by Cloudian.

My team, of three or four engineers, is responsible for maintenance.

Cloudian HyperStore is definitely priced well compared to some competing products. Our fees are approximately half a dollar per gigabyte.

What other advice do I have?

As this is a software-defined solution, it is important to understand the product and the problems that can occur. Technical support will install it, which is always the case. Next, in order to have a good TCO then it is very important to have the best combination of hardware and software.

Find out what your peers are saying about Cloudian, Scality, Red Hat and others in File and Object Storage. Updated: January 2021.
456,719 professionals have used our research since 2012.