CloudPassage Review

It helped us be more aware of what our security posture is, but not all of the features work in my environment

What is our primary use case?

Compliance, vulnerabilities verification.

How has it helped my organization?

• Our scores let us know when to trigger workflow to go out in a patch.
  • It has reduced the amount of time we had to take to manually verify software and check our updates.
  • It helped us be more aware of what our security posture is. We use the vulnerability scores to verify that we are doing the right thing by our servers.

What is most valuable?

The Software Vulnerability Assessment and the CSM, which is the configuration check.

What needs improvement?

Anything outside of the software vulnerability management and the CSM, things like the GhostPort, need some improvement. The dashboard is in beta. It looks really good, I wish it would come out of beta.

Also, in the CSM module the policies are really hard to work with it. It is not very flexible at all. I would suggest that they change that. Right now, the scan is based on the group that the server is in. What happens if the server is in multiple groups?

Once in a while it's kind of slow but it doesn't crash on me or anything like that.

CloudPassage is doing fine on scalability.

Awesome, actually. I have been very happy with tech support.

I wasn't using a different solution. We were just using in-house scripting. We wanted to reduce our overhead so we went with CloudPassage.

It's pretty straightforward.

I would rate the pricing value at about a six or seven out of 10, because I can't use all the functions. Of all the advertised functions, I only find two things that really work in my environment, even though I wanted to use all of them. They're not flexible enough to be used.

CloudPassage is a little bit on the expensive side. So my suggestion is that the company lower its price point a wee bit or sell modules, separate them in modules, because I only find two things that are useful to me, yet I pay for four or five modules. It didn't seem like it was a fair deal.

We tested CloudPassage against Dome9, and we tried using a combination of AWS with CloudInspect. We also look at Evident.io and Alert Logic.

What other advice do I have?

I would say CloudPassage is very useful for certain things. If you just want a few modules then focus on what you need and negotiate the price based on the individual module, rather than looking at the whole thing, because I didn't find all the modules very useful.

Also, use Splunk in combination with it if you want reporting.

I would give CloudPassage at least a seven out of 10. I rate it on the high-end because of the customer support - I've never seen any support that is comparable to that, it's very good, excellent. The support staff actually care, they actually follow up; it's very nice. And CloudPassage really listens to its customers.

The product itself is very nice if you're only looking to check off your compliance requirements, but if you're looking for more of dashboarding and things like that, CloudPassage is improving but it's not quite there.