CloudStack Review

Provides LDAP integration, quota management, and RBAC.

What is most valuable?

Easy installation and simple IAAS cloud management.

How has it helped my organization?

The product has been evolving over the years. Several new features like LDAP integration, quota management, and RBAC have been added over last few years.

What needs improvement?

The upgrade process can be improved further. There are two parts to the upgrade. One is to upgrade the CloudStack management server. That is desirable in terms of auto updates and more user friendly UI to manage updates. Then there is this whole system VM template upgrade procedure that sounds technical, although it has been improving over the years with more automation and mirror selection that could be more desirable.

We have been using this solution for four years.

The product is stable. There were times where longer running operation could run into issues. Some of these stability related problems have been fixed in newer releases.

With the scale that we operate, I have not encountered issues with scalability. CloudStack manages infrastructure with 2-4 thousands of hosts easily.

The community is active and the response to questions is reasonably quick. There are also several companies providing support for CloudStack.

We have been on CloudStack since the start.

The initial setup was simple compared to competitive products.

It is an open source product and comes free under license from the Apache foundation. If you need dedicated support or training, then you may have to pay. It depends on how you go about it.

We have looked at OpenStack. At that time, it appeared to have been receiving more traction. But we found installation and operation more complex, compared to the simplicity of CloudStack. CloudStack installation is simple and it works.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a private cloud, just go for CloudStack.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We at use CloudStack for our private datacenter. We also provide feature development and support for CloudStack.