CloudStack Review

It helps some business areas to test ideas and innovation initiatives with freedom and more speed.

What is most valuable?

API support, LB-integration with NetScaler for auto-scaling support, and the flexibility to configure/represent the physical network (VPC, guest and network offerings). NFV light making it possible to have LB, FW, PortFoward and private networks is also very useful.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps some business areas to test their ideas and innovation initiatives with freedom and more speed (and better time to market).

What needs improvement?

More integration with third-party products (we know that OpenStack has a better level of integration).

3 years.

Very nice. We can leverage community forums and we had some support from ShapeBlue.

We've tested OpenStack, VMware vCloud Director and VMware Cloud Automation Center. We chose CloudStack because we saw it with a better TCO ratio, balancing innovation, and starting the DevOps culture with a low operational overhead.

It was simple, taking into consideration that any private cloud deployment is intrinsically complex. We could manage to decrease the network complexity representing the physical network with VLANs mapping to guest, isolated and VPC networks.

Openstack, vCloud Director and vCAC.

What other advice do I have?

Attention to network design and secondary storage.