CloudStack Review

The platform is very simple to scale-out

What is our primary use case?

We are an ISP in Brazil. We have started to offer IaaS to the market and our current customers. We implemented ACS in our datacenter starting with a zone, pod, and cluster. We also developed an eCommerce/user interface at the top of the Apache CloudStack platform.

How has it helped my organization?

We increased our IaaS sales by 30% and our deploy time of VM/instances has been reduced from one day to one minute. We also had a relevant reduction of bureaucracy tasks.

What is most valuable?

• CloudStack is very stable and scalable.
  • It uses a single code/project differently from other platforms, like OpenStack.
  • It is very simple to implement and maintain.

What needs improvement?

The absence of the feature, deploy an instance from a snapshot, is the weak point of the platform. It is a feature that everyone needs nowadays.

We had only one problem with the hypervisors, but not with the ACS.

No issues. The platform is very simple to scale-out.

We use only the community, as we have inside technical skills, and it works very well.

We did not use a previous solution.

It is not complex, but has some little tricks.

We contracted a specialized company called ShapeBlue for the first design of the environment, then we deployed it ourselves.

The Apache CloudStack is open source, so you do not have licenses to purchase.

Give an effort to planning. If possible, contract a specialized consultant company for the initial setup and knowledge transfer.

We evaluated OpenStack and Eucalyptus.