CloudStack Review

Gives us ability to orchestrate large virtual environments; flexible enough to configure for our needs

What is our primary use case?

We use Apache CloudStack to host and orchestrate all of our virtual environments. We host both internal virtual machines and customer virtual machines.

How has it helped my organization?

It allowed us to build and manage a virtual environment much larger than we originally thought would be possible for our organization. It also gives us the ability to rapidly deploy virtual resources to meet business needs quickly.

What is most valuable?

The product gives us the ability to orchestrate large virtual environments and is flexible enough to allow us to configure it for what we need. We value the flexibility of the networking feature set as well as the ability to build virtual private clouds.

What needs improvement?

The area of Apache CloudStack that could stand the most improvement is the functionality/features around the virtual routers. They can be somewhat cumbersome to deal with at times and are the least stable piece of the product.

More than five years.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this an eight out of 10. It is a great solution for virtual hypervisor orchestration. It is purpose-built for our environment and does very well if you have the time to manage your environment.

We’ve been using some form of CloudStack in our environment since 2012. It has become an integral part of how we provide critical services to our customers.

More CloudStack reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Apache, OpenNebula, Red Hat and others in Cloud Management. Updated: May 2021.
510,882 professionals have used our research since 2012.