CockroachDB Review

Simple to deploy and the support is good, but better features for high availability are needed

What is our primary use case?

We are currently evaluating this product to see if it can support distributed transactions with high availability. We are comparing it with Oracle, trying to see it can achieve the same thing.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup and deployment are simple.

What needs improvement?

We are looking for more features to support distributed high availability and geo-partitioning.

I have been working with CockroachDB for close to six months.

We are still evaluating and I have only used a small amount of data. For a small volume, the stability seems perfectly fine. As for when the volume of data grows, this is something that I will have to check.

We have not tested scalability.

We are in touch with a couple of vendors from Cockroach Labs and the technical support is good.

We use a combination of cloud-based and on-premises databases. On-premises we have Oracle and SQL Server. Our cloud-native databases are PostgreSQL and MySQL.

PostgreSQL is quite similar to Oracle but CockroachDB is still evolving.

The initial setup is not complex.

What other advice do I have?

At this point, I have not used this product enough to fully rate it on all of the features. In three or four months' time, I will have a better idea and understanding of it.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

More CockroachDB reviews from users