Code42 logo vert rgb 80x80

Code42 Review
Since I started working with CrashPlan we have less tickets open.

Valuable Features

There are a few, the first one would be that it is very user friendly, has a nice interface and we can restore from the console in the customer server or from our server. It has a very user friendly status bar with common errors and has logs built in to the console so we can review the issues or status of CrashPlan.

Improvements to My Organization

Since I started working with CrashPlan we have less tickets open, since we offer monitor issues we received daily alerts and most of the issues are fixed even before the customer realizes they have an issue. Restoration is fast and easy. Also, we can see the logs in the console without going thru folders and text editors. It is really easy to use and the interface is really user friendly.

Room for Improvement

I am not sure, since we use an old version of the application (planning on doing the upgrade next year) and it has flaws but I don't know if they have been fixed on the newer versions. I saw the new version and just by seeing it I think it provides more information on the status of the server with out going thru all the steps on the old version. I think one we can improve is the compression but I am not familiar with the newer version so I cannot really share an opinion on that.

Use of Solution

2 years.

I didn't actually do the deployment of the main server, but I can tell you I did some of the customer client deployments and in Windows, it is really easy. Just download, install and enter the information. On UNIX I do it in the command line interface and the only thing I had encountered is a Java issue with Red Hat 6. However, like it mention earlier, I am using an old version, I'm sure this has been resolved with the new one.

With Kaspersky AntiVirus on Windows we had one recurring issue that it started crashing the app, I actually try to exclude it and it keeps crashing until we reinstall the application. The think is we reinstall and it takes some months until it crashed again but is an old version of CrashPlan maybe when we do the upgrade that issue will be resolved.

I don't think we had encountered any issue with scalability, at least not that I am aware of since I took over 2 years ago and the previous engineer did not mention anything regarding scalability.

The best, they are always in contact and resolving all our needs. We have a lot of interaction with their team and they have been always giving us all the information we need. We also use their advocate page and they are very helpful with everything.

I haven't used it until now, but I am planning an upgrade and I think I'll request a lot of technical hints.

i never used a solution for backup , i used well hardware solutons but not an offsite or cloud solution before crashplan , but it has been a really good experience and when customers lost data restoration had been really helpfull and fast and i have not get any complaints from our customers using crashplan .

i was not during the initial set up for the server but when i set up new customers is really straighforward basically we install the software , enter the license on our side then just go next and set up the account with the user and password and just entered the proserver ip and connect thats really about all we do , is really easy to set up.

Implementation Team

it was in house and they had been working with this solution for years that means they level of expertise is really good and they handled everything to us and the trainign was really a challenge but once you got it right is really easy to implement on any supported OS

ROI

i am the administrator , basically i do everything from installation , set up , troubleshooting and sometimes we do some reports , also crashplan can do reports to excel from the console and that really helps a lot . i manage the space left , disk quota pretty much everything.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

well is not my department , i am not really familiar with pricing and licensing , i provide licenses when they are requested but i do not know how much it is it for each License or the actual pricing on the crash plan .

Other Solutions Considered

i remember they used evault on AIX servers and some of them still use it but when they change or migrate to windows , unix or linux crashplan is the best choice for them .

Other Advice

well yes , is a really good backup solution i know they are a lot of them now in the market but this one is really good their interface is very user friendly , it can be installed from commando line and graphic interface , and supports windows , mac and unix , overall is a really good and user friendly application