Code42 Next-Gen DLP Review

We use it to migrate users to new machines and rebuild existing ones that have had HDD failures

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped to alleviate the worry of many faculty and staff backup needs and keeping them current. It has also helped us keep track of who is letting their stuff get backed up, where they are in the world, and how they are using the software.

What is most valuable?

Backup and recovery have been great, but I love having the ability to keep the hybrid type build which they offer. We host the controller and they host the data. The unlimited storage is nice, too.

What needs improvement?

More security would be nice, I would love to be able to remotely brick a stolen laptop and it's hard disk drive (HDD). A larger web restore limit would help as some of the files we have to recover are much larger than 500MB.

None. It has been remarkably stable and reliable. We have had more issues with our users not backing up their stuff than with the actual service itself.

We have a small deployment, but another department on campus has one that is four times our size and we both use the same tools the exact same way to accomplish our goals. Therefore, I would say it scales well.

Pretty good. My rep keeps in contact with me, and they have an advocate hub where IT pros can mingle and help each other.

It is very good! I have had nothing but good experiences with the tech support folks. They not only know their product, but they know other infrastructure products as well and how they may or may not mess with Code42.

We didn't try anything before this, but our central IT department did offer a competitor. We found it to be far too rigid and it didn't fit our needs.

The initial setup was quite easy as we had a Code42 champion helping us the entire time. They help us by being a sounding board for our questions and getting us info for things like SSO and customizing the installer for our department.

Our in-house IT department (my associate and me) setup and deployed it to our users. It was a great learning experience as we have to maintain the system as well.

We have already gotten our investment back at least once, probably twice. We have used Code42 to migrate users to new machines and rebuild existing ones that have had HDD failures. We are even backing up our 2.5TB backup server, so when the building collapses in the next earthquake, our stuff is backed up!

It is 100% worth the cost to get and keep the support, especially when setting it up. There are some nice cheats that the techs have to help you get stuff done faster and they can point you to options you may want to use depending on the size of your organization.

We looked at AWS and Druva as other options, but found them to be either annoyingly complex or too expensive for what we wanted.

What other advice do I have?

This software is designed to be set up and forget it for the users, but as an admin, you have reports that can help you prove it's continued existence.

It's probably the best backup tool available, but that's just my opinion. Try for yourself and decide.