Codename One Review

It has opened opportunities for rapid prototyping and cost-effective cross-platform development

Valuable Features

A few things that stand out to me are a well-documented and pretty extensive API, build server, access to native functionality via native interface, easy extension with third-party libraries, active developer support, and attractive pricing.

Moreover, CodenameOne offers an iOS wizard for generating the required certificates without a MAC.

Improvements to My Organization

CodenameOne has opened opportunities for rapid prototyping and affordable product development.

Room for Improvement

Windows Phone port. However, that is actively being improved and should be released later this year if all goes well.

Use of Solution

More than a year

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

Excellent. The team is very accessible and very willing to help.

Excellent. Even for non-paying users, the support provided on the forum is remarkable.

I used MoSync and I switched because the company went bankrupt.

Extremely straightforward. I was pleasantly surprised that it just worked. CodenameOne provides plugins for Eclipse, NetBeans and, IntelliJ IDEs.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

No setup cost. I currently have a basic subscription which costs USD 9 per month (prices recently got upgraded to $19, but subscribers like me who already had an account are still allowed to pay the old rate).

Other Solutions Considered

I am still evaluating other options to get a better idea of the trade-offs. The options include: Xamarin, Qt, RemObjects, and NativeScript.

Other Advice

Like every other cross-platform technology, know the trade offs before embracing! In the case of CN1, that would be a native look-and-feel that is not 100% identical to pure native apps. That's acceptable in a lot of cases but not always.

And, of course, it's always a plus to have knowledge of the native platforms..