Codenomicon Defensics Review

Helps us complete testing more quickly by eliminating many unwanted test cases

What is our primary use case?

Codenomicon is a good tool. It is used for network protocol implementation testing, to find any Zero-day issues, vulnerabilities in XSL. It's an excellent tool that has its advantages and its limitations.

How has it helped my organization?

In our company, we have a lot of applications. A lot of protocols are used between embedded devices which are never tested for any abnormal behaviors. We have found multiple issues in our embedded system network protocols, related to buffer overflow. We have reduced some of these issues.

What is most valuable?

Whatever the test suit they give, it is intelligent. It will understand the protocol and it will generate the test cases based on the protocol: protocol, message sequence, protocol, message structure. That intelligence is very good. Because of that, we can eliminate a lot of unwanted test cases, so we can execute the tests and complete them very quickly.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, when we are testing embedded devices, when we trigger the test cases, the target will crash immediately. It is very difficult for us to identify the root cause of the crash because they do not provide sophisticated tools on the target side. They cover only the client-side application, and from that we can generate automated test cases, but what happens on the target device, what is the reason for the crash, for that we have to do manual debugging. They do not have diagnostic tools for the target side. Rather, they have them but they are very minimal and not very helpful. They can improve a lot on that.

Technical support is good, they are very active, very supportive.

Licensing is a bit expensive.

What other advice do I have?

It depends on your company's needs. Codenomicon will only help to identify protocol implementation issues. If a company is using a standard stack, which is already tested, then I don't think they will hit any issues while doing fuzzy. The tool is used only for the protocol implementation, done by the company itself.

I would rate Codenomicon at seven out of 10. It does not support the complete protocol stack. There are some IoT protocols that are not supported and new protocols that are not supported.