Cohesity DataPlatform Review

A single pane of glass console can manage multiple nodes

What is our primary use case?

Cohesity DataProtect is a great product and has reduced my backup window and jobs significantly. I like that you can do a VM level backup as well as a database backup. By doing so, I was able to replace two backup application products.

Cohesity gives us the ability to run a local backup, replicate, and archive to AWS all in one job. Though, we are not able to archive all of our workloads to S3 for longer retention.

The Cohesity User Group is extremely beneficial and productive. We get to speak with the developers and engineering team directly about their products, whether it be a feature request, enhancements, issues, or processes. They are very receptive to what the customer has to say.

How has it helped my organization?

While we're still new in the implementation, we are excited that we now have a single point of view for all of our backups. As we begin to roll out the virtual nodes to our remote locations, we are looking forward to not having to hassle with tapes anymore as the data will automatically be replicated across multiple locations.

The search abilities are very impressive. We hope to soon start leveraging immutable archiving off to the cloud to replace the tapes. All of this is from a single pane of glass.

What is most valuable?

I like that I can launch the cloud-based UI (Helios) from anywhere to view my dashboard.

The support team is responsive and knowledgeable.

I like having several options to backup and restore databases.

The clone feature is very nice. You can restore workloads onto Cohesity's storage, which is also nice to have when you don't have enough space to restore on the server.

Being able to automate failover for DR with runbook is a very nice feature.

I like that you can use a single pane of glass console to manage multiple Cohesity nodes.

We were starting to feel the struggle with secondary data fragmentation, having multiple copies of a file across locations that were different versions. Users just accepted it as business as usual, but now we will be able to serve much of that via a large NFS share.

What needs improvement?

I don't like that the MS SQL Agents require a reboot during the initial install and that you have to install agents at all. You have to manually upgrade the agents depending on which release you have and unregister them if they don't show up correctly. They need to improve the process to unregister applications.

We have been using this solution for several months.

The technical and engineering teams that I have worked with have been heavily involved throughout the whole process and responsive. The online ticketing is simple to use and addressed in a timely manner. Feature requests and enchantments provided by the customer are not overlooked. Their developer team is heavily involved in the customer's business requirements. The turnaround for feature or enhancement requests is fairly quick.

There is limited support for legacy systems, which is something that could be improved.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, working with Cohesity has been a great experience.