Cohesity DataProtect Review

We can run test scripts on production data

What is our primary use case?

• On-site disaster recovery
  • Cloud disaster recovery
  • Test and dev

Cohesity gives us unparalleled features.

How has it helped my organization?

Instead of four different solutions for protecting VMs, physical servers, SQL, and NAS, we now have one solution with Cohesity that is lightning fast and has amazing features.

What is most valuable?

SQL backup and recovery is our favorite feature.

We use it for test and dev as well, so we can run test scripts on production data. We also like that we can use production data to run intensive reports that would otherwise bog down the production server.

What needs improvement?

I can't wait for native bare metal recovery. It would also be great to add SQL Object Level restore, so user objects, tables, etc. can be restored without having to restore the entire DB.

Less than one year.

There were some initial issues with network setup and discovery. Also, registering MSSQL agents came up with a few errors that I had to work with support on.

No issues with scalability. Adding space or performance is as simple as adding a node to the block.

Customer service is amazing. Replies within the hour and resolution usually within four to six hours. Some conversations with engineering have taken up to 24 hours.

• VMware Data Protection
  • CrashPlan
  • Windows Backup
  • Local MSSQL backups

Initial setup was more complex than Rubrik. Their documentation could be refined.

Implemented in-house, worked directly with Cohesity.

The ROI is huge. Not really measurable at this point, but the price of the unit was a fraction of what a couple hours of downtime could result in.

Licensing is per node and per protected terabyte. You will also pay 10-15% annually for support.

We did extensive testing with four different competitive vendors.

What other advice do I have?

If SQL is in heavy use at your location, I would highly recommend narrowing your PoC testing to Cohesity and Rubrik. They will be competitive on pricing with each other, so really put them through the paces.

4.1.2
More Cohesity DataProtect reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with Rubrik
Learn what your peers think about Cohesity DataProtect. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
510,882 professionals have used our research since 2012.