Cohesity DataProtect Review

A cost-effective storage designed for secondary or archival data

What is our primary use case?

Cohesity has acted as a perfect secondary storage for storing our archival data, as well as running the non I/O intensive VMs directly on the NFS data stores.

How has it helped my organization?

Cohesity is a cost-effective storage designed for secondary or archival data. It also integrates well with a number of other systems, like VMware, Pure Storage, or AWS with its large array of APIs available to the user. Backing up VMs, indexing data, and restoring data can be lightening fast. At the same time, the data compression and dedupe are robust and the best in this category.

What is most valuable?

• Restoring the backed up VMs directly on vCenter through API integration, which is lightening fast.
  • Integration with cloud storage, like S3 from AWS and Pure Storage.
  • The four independent node cluster architecture is redundant. It maintains data integrity and load balancing.

What needs improvement?

Since it is an evolving product, there are lot of frequent releases which require upgrades to be done every other weekend.

Sometimes new releases have a few bugs, but they are promptly fixed by the support team. Other than that, it is a fairly stable product.

It is highly scalable and follows a scale out approach. You need a minimum of four nodes to make a cluster.

The support team could do a better job. Sometimes finding the correct person is cumbersome and time consuming.

We were looking to replace multiple backup solutions for physical servers and VMware virtual machines. Cohesity has been a one stop solution for us.

The initial setup is fairly simple.

Support guided us remotely throughout the installation.

I cannot disclose the exact numbers. Compared to the products that we had earlier, Cohesity replaced our primary backup solution. It runs VMs. All our backup mount points are on Cohesity in our environment, and this is at a fraction of the cost.

More Cohesity DataProtect reviews from users