Cohesity Review

An all-in-one package that consolidated and simplified our backup solution

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is as a backup solution. We also use Cohesity for cloud enabling and seconday storage.

With respect to backup, our environment is based on virtual and physical machines, and Cohesity fits great. The virtual machines are based on VMware 6.5/Nutanix solution with vCenter. Cohesity can handle up to 2,000 virtual machines with a classic schdule of one backup per day. CBT works great so it is an incremental forever solution.

For our physical system, we use agents for AIX, Windows from 2003 to 2016, SUSE, and RHEL.

The application backups handle SAP, SAP HANA, Oracle, and SQL Server.

How has it helped my organization?

Cohesity has improved our backup architecture. Now everything is simple. Before using this solution there was a master server, media server, repository, dedupe server, cloud server, and a report server.

Cohesity is an all in one solution in a hyper-converged way. From three nodes and more, you can have one platform for everything. The storage and compute exist in the HA cluster.

No more IT department is required for backup. From four-person teams to general system administration, everything is logical and there are no more difficult concepts. There is no need for training and certification.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the cloud support. We can use it as a lift and shift solution for cloud migration. This feature is called CloudSpin. After linking a cloud subscription, like Azure for example (AWS and Google are also supported), you can "spin" a VM onto the cloud from any backup snapshot.

You can use this solution for test and dev, or for testing migration to the cloud. However, it is not so useful for massive cloud migration, so it is better to use the Azure migration tool for that.

It is useful for backing up a cloud workload. For better value in terms of cost, I suggest deploying a cloud edition of DataProtect.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the CDP features integrated into this solution.

Replication is working great, but with backup replication, you should have the option to link and RPO to the backup schedule. This would reduce the RPO in case of a disaster. It would be great to have something like the Zerto software.

The GUI is in need of improvement.

The upgrade path is not so clear because there are too many branches.

We have been using Cohesity for about ten months.

The cluster is stable.

This solution has good scalability by adding more nodes.

Cohesity provides great support, both remote and onsite.

We use TSM from IBM, NetBackup from Veritas, and Veeam.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We have implemented this solution on two occasions. The first was with the Cohesity team, and the second was done with our in-house team.

Sizing is important and it is easy to overestimate. It is difficult to understand how dedupe will work with your workload.

We are near a coin-flip with Rubrik. Same benefits but less power on dedupe.

What other advice do I have?

Cohesity can replicate backups to a secondary cluster (also virtual edition).

Hybrid Cloud