Commvault Review

Almost completely automates our backup processes, saving us time

What is our primary use case?

We use it to back up some servers and to restore things.

How has it helped my organization?

Commvault helps our administrators to minimize the time they spend on the backup tasks and that gives them time for other projects. I don't know how much time it saves them because our Commvault environment was already in place. We don't have very many restore problems and, for backup, it's almost automated, so we don't spend any time at the console.

What is most valuable?

For me, it just restores and backs up applications, nothing more. But what I find valuable is restoring the complete server. Restoring files is also valuable, but I like restoring the server because you don't have to rebuild a new one.

Also, we are able to manage our on-prem environment from one server, the whole environment from one place, which is great. There is only one place to search.

What needs improvement?

We get an alarm if a lot of files are deleted, for example. That could look like ransomware, even if it is not.

I have been using Commvault for one-and-a-half years, which is the time I have been working in this company.

It is fairly stable. We have never had trouble with Commvault itself. And if we do have trouble, we can call our Commvault partner and they will solve it.

The scalability is good, although we don't have plans to increase our usage of it.

Commvault's technical support is very good.

I used Avamar a long time ago.

I don't know much about the pricing and licensing, but I do know it is very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Commvault. We have not had many difficulties with it and I think it is a good product.

We don't use Command Center, only the CommCell Console. In our department, only five people are doing the backups and the restores. We are all system specialists, and we work together to maintain Commvault.

I would rate it at eight out of 10. A 10 is too high and would mean it is super-good. For me, an eight is very high.

More Commvault reviews from users