Commvault Review

A single platform where you can enable whatever you want to use

What is our primary use case?

We use it mostly for backup and sell it to our customers. We are moving more into data management. Our customers also use it for data classification, it's becoming a major role.

How has it helped my organization?

The previous version of Commvault was complex from a licensing point of view. Veeam is taking up the virtualization space.

It helps my customers recover data and to replicate the data as well.

What is most valuable?

Commvault software is a single platform where you can enable whatever you want to use, like endpoint protection. You can enable those licenses on a single platform screen. This is where I see the value ad. This is a single management tool.

With other products, you need to have different management tools.

What needs improvement?

They don't market their products well. They don't do a lot of marketing to enable them to move forward.

It's a very good product. It works. If their marketing was great, the product would sell itself. It's harder because their competitors have much better marketing. Everybody knows Veritas and Veeam because they market well. If a customer chooses Commvault, it would be the first time they've heard of it.

My company has been using it for the last five years.

Scalability is great. In the new license model, I can scale it on the virtual environment. We are going to increase our Commvault center in our data center. The maintenance will increase.

Their technical support is very good. I am very satisfied. I work with somebody who is connected to the development side as well so they make sure to implement changes if we encounter issues.

Commvault is an enterprise product set and Veeam only started the virtualization layer. Commvault is already at the front. Veritas has a lot of appliances and Commvault only started doing appliances a few years ago. Veritas marketed their appliances aggressively but Commvault didn't. I think Commvault is moving into data management.

It's not that easy to implement. It takes some time to implement and make it work. It was complex to implement and understand how to get everything correctly.

Commvault changed their model to make it easier for partners and customers to understand. Before there were 16 licenses for one area but now they've made it easier to work.

What other advice do I have?

Understand the way it works in terms of sizing and configuration. As soon as that is correctly done, it's not so difficult to understand.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Reseller.
More Commvault reviews from users