Commvault Review

Robust, feature-rich, and the web console is well organized

What is our primary use case?

We are using Commvault as our main backup software.

How has it helped my organization?

Commvault is very broad in its possibilities to keep the backup environment up and running.

What is most valuable?

What I like about Commvault is that it's very robust. When an interruption takes place due to an incident, the signaling and notification are very extensive. Usually, there is a good direction towards the solution if there is a problem. Commvault is very self-supporting and the software tries to solve any issues by itself.

What needs improvement?

There is a bit of an overkill in functionality, especially in the interface, when you decide to deploy all of the software. I'm talking specifically about the Java console, which is the one we are using because it has all of the features that Commvault has in it. With so many features, sometimes you cannot find what you are looking for in the interface and you have to dig into books online to find out how to solve an issue.

The web console is more organized than the Java console, although it lacks some features.

In the next release, I would like to see different options made available for hot versus cold data.

I have been using Commvault for six years.

We have not been in contact directly with Commvault for technical support. We have a partner who takes care of all of the issues if any Commvault intervention is needed.

What other advice do I have?

We are currently working through what we need for disaster recovery in general, and Commvault already has a major place in that. However, there are several things that we do not currently use, so there may be an option to use more of it for that benefit. For example, the product supports archiving capability, which is something that we do not use at this time.

In summary, this is a good backup solution but considering my comments on the GUI, it is not perfect.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

More Commvault reviews from users
...who work at a Government
...who compared it with Veeam Backup & Replication
Learn what your peers think about Commvault. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.