Commvault Review

Scalable with a straightforward setup and good performance

What is our primary use case?

I'm using the backup email feature with the hypervisor backup on VMware. I'm also working with different databases.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The solution is very stable and offers a good level of performance.

The product can scale if a company needs it to.

We've noticed that technical support has recently gotten much better.

What needs improvement?

We've had issues with the solution not restoring certain environments. There also issues we find when we want to restore, for example, a cloud environment.

The product could be more convenient in terms of working with different solutions and having more integration between the different products in the market. It really should integrate better with, for example, VMware or Nutanix or Hyper-V. It would be really, really helpful if that were the case.

I've dealt with the solution for the last three years or so.

The product has been stable. There are no bugs or glitches. So far, it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable and the performance is good.

The product can scale if a company needs it to. It does have the potential to expand as needed.

In our company, we have about 1,300 people using it.

When I started to work with Commvault product, it wasn't very good, however, there has been a huge development in service. Their support is now working fine. They're much more helpful and professional. They've come a long way. We're satisfied with the progress they've made.

I have also worked with other products, such as NetBackup and Veeam.

The pricing is a place where they all vary. While Commvault is cheaper than Veeam, it's more expensive than NetBackup.

The initial setup is not overly difficult or complex. It's simple. It's straightforward.

I'm unsure as to how many people are required to maintain the solution. It's not an aspect of the product that falls under my responsibility.

The solution isn't the cheapest. It's also not the most expensive. It's basically somewhere in the middle. However, it's a fine price. It's what you would expect to pay for a full solution. That said, for some environments, it could be considered a bit expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We are resellers.

I would advise those considering the solution, that, if they use it in conjunction with Nutanix, there may be some limitations. You can't back up, for example, on Nutanix and restore things to Veeam or other environments.

That said, we're mostly satisfied with the solution. I'd rate the product at an eight out of ten.

More Commvault reviews from users
...who work at a Government
...who compared it with Veeam Backup & Replication
Learn what your peers think about Commvault. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.