Commvault Review

A wide range of application-specific agents with very flexible options related to backup, recovery and data management.

How has it helped my organization?

We have covered all our important applications by backup policy and ensure that application owners are aware, how data is backed up and what RPO is expected, as well as cost of such backup implementation.

What is most valuable?

Also, pretty we

What needs improvement?

Mostly controls, visibility, cost allocation. Other general features like backup protection (via multiple copies), storage optimization (like compression/deduplication, tape refresh etc.) were in place before we switched to CommVault.

Previously, with versions 8 and 9 yes. But starting from version 10 there were no major issues.

In general, no. But some features like context indexing and searching have some limitations, which should be considered from the very beginning.

I would rate at 9 out of 10. Customer service is arranged pretty well.

Depends on the topic. Issues related to configuration are resolved in a timely manner by first-line support. But if something needs to be escalated to development, it's really hard to predict when the issue will be resolved, even having BCS. The only way here is to have Professional Service in place, which is not reasonable from a cost perspective. Though, at the stage of initial assessment, first-time deployment or analysis of bottlenecks and potential issues/risks in future, Professional Service is definitely makes sense.

Overall rating: eight out of 10.

Yes, we had different solutions across locations. The decision was made to unify the backup solution across our branches. CommVault was chosen based on multiple factors.

Initial setup is pretty straightforward. But further migrations required a lot of effort (like DR setup, migration to another major version, migration of major components (CS/MA) to another servers, etc.).

We implemented in-house. Vendor (partner actually) was engaged during assessment of our environment before major version upgrade. Professional Service was very valuable. Level of expertise was really impressive.

I cannot estimate ROI for backup/archive solutions.

Can't provide such advice. It highly depends on initial environment and estimated growth for year and more.

Definitely yes. I would not reveal other options we looked into but I believe everyone is aware of the top five backup solutions.