Commvault Review

How has it helped my organization?

Since our corporation is big, it was really difficult to back up specific data types, manage admin roles, have true visibility of where my data was stored and whether it was effectively being backed up.

Now, I know where my backup data is. I can leverage on cloud storage technologies as well and restore it with granularity level that I have not seen in any other data management tool.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of good features. Here are some of them:

• Capacity-based licensing
  • A very stable and scalable platform (you can backup/restore/protect a couple of MBs or hundred of TBs as well from the same console/platform).
  • Relatively easy to use GUI
  • You can protect/backup virtually any kind of data from virtually any corporate type application (in-house or commercial) from one management console.
  • Has the highest backup/restore granularity that I have seen in any data management tool.
  • An extremely fast search engine for restoring and securing data and is hardware agnostic so you do not depend on excessively expensive storage hardware.

What needs improvement?

Reduce the complexity for better understanding of the reports. There are a lot of variables in which you can get confused while elaborating on reports.

A 10 out of 10.

Yes, we used a different solution. We switched due to consolidation and cost effectiveness.

Straightforward.

Know which type of data you are going to backup/protect and select the most appropriate bundle for you.

Yes. TSM and NetBackup.

What other advice do I have?

Try it. Think in functionality and solution rather than conventional big names believing that there is nothing better.