Commvault Review
Enables backup and archive in a single job

How has it helped my organization?

Earlier, the legacy was you needed to backup and, when you needed to do an archive, you needed to do an archive job again. With Commvault it is a single job, which does both backup and archive, so it does not touch the data twice.

What is most valuable?

Backup and archive with a single window, with a single backup job. You only need to type "c".

What needs improvement?

Actually Commvault is good software. I just wanted to compare the features, which are there in EMC NetWorker, which are not available in Commvault. We have things using Networker, I just wanted to see what is the advantage over Commvault.

Commvault is very stable.

It is scalable, and it can grow up the environment.

No, it was in manual backup earlier, now it is an automated.

It was pretty simple and straightforward.

Symantec, Veritas. We chose this one because it was the first which had all available storage types, deep storage, cloud storage, and it has a global database system.

1 Comment

John ChaneyUser

For disclosure, I was an installer and supporter of Networker from 1993 to 2013. I've installed and configured it hundreds of times for customers. I had to script it to do a most things. I considered Networker a toolbox that gave me the tools I needed to get the job done. Around 2000, we started investigating CommVault. It took a few years before they finally had the feature set to compete with Networker. I have done a couple of hundred installs and upgrades of CommVault, and still do. We totally dropped even doing PS for Networker with 9.x. In a nutshell, CommVault did everything out of the box, that I had to script Networker to do, and more. There is no comparison. CommVault is the Lamborghini of data protection without the price tag, due to competition. Capitalism works.

08 March 18