Commvault Review
Stable, enterprise product, it has almost all databases in scope

What is our primary use case?

We have it in our data center, and it's primarily used for our servers. We take backups of the data to protect ourselves. If by mistake we delete some data from the primary storage, we can restore the data from the backup.

For the last six months, we have been providing a graphical user interface for our customers for Commvault so they can, themselves, restore files and folders.

How has it helped my organization?

They are evolving. Any time we encounter a problem, an issue, we have a good relation with the development of Commvault, and they work tightly with us together to solve the problem. The fix then becomes available in the new service pack.

What is most valuable?

It's an enterprise product. It's a stable product. We have good support. Almost all databases are in the scope. I can't really say anything bad about it. It’s a good, stable product.

What needs improvement?

You need quite a lot of human resources to maintain a Commvault environment, to keep it operational. Also, it would be nice to if there were an easier way set up some Commvault components.

I don't know exactly when they came out with the new HTML interface because, until then, the interface was a based on Java. The HTML interface is a remarkable improvement. However, there are still some features that are not available in that interface that are available in the Java console, but I'm sure that will come with time.

Another issue that comes to mind, that we have to pay attention to is, when a new service pack or hotfix comes out, it can happen that something that was working before does not work anymore. We really have to test it in our lab, before we are 100 percent sure we can introduce it in production and be 100 percent sure that everything still works that was working before.

Three to five years.

Stability is okay.

The new HyperScale solution from Commvault is a scale-out solution. We are not using it yet. One month ago, we did a book with the scale-out solution, so we do not have much experience with it. I expect a lot from it.

I'm not on the operational team, but what I hear from colleagues is that they are quite happy with the support. We have a good relationship with them.

What other advice do I have?

Commvault is certainly a vendor that you have to take into consideration if you are looking into a backup solution. It’s worthwhile to have a look at it.

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor are cost and, perhaps, new features that Commvault maybe doesn't have, like backups to public clouds, for instance. But the primary factor is the cost.

I would rate Commvault at eight out of 10 due to the stability, our relationship with the development team, and the quality of their backup of their solution.