Compuware ISPW Review

Auto-deploy reduces development time for some of our applications

What is our primary use case?

Today, the mainframe is our foundation where our customer data lives. Interfacing with the mainframe is how our distributed systems provide services to our customers, regardless of the channel  used (Mobile, User Interface, etc).  Until an alternative cost-efficient technology is identified that has the processing power of the mainframe, our focus will remain on modernization.  Our focus is to utilize tools and technology that allow for more automation, real-time services, and communication with our distributed products in a way that reduces cost and increases efficiency.

How has it helped my organization?

With the use of ISPW, we were able to reduce our deployment time for specific applications  by utilizing the auto-deploy features. Using tools such as ISPW also increases our mainframe developer’s knowledge of Eclipse-based tools that the distributed products utilize.

We’re also experimenting with being able to utilize distributed developers to see if they can utilize the  ISPW analysis tool to identify/make changes in COBOL without really knowing this technology.

What is most valuable?

The visual ability to see potential downstream impacts to code changes is a value add in helping our developers identify and understand the impact associated with their change. Utilization of the deploy feature in ISPW has also been a key functionality.

What needs improvement?

My advice for new clients migrating to ISPW is to take the time needed to understand your current inventory of ASIs, code that is not executed/no longer required,  and any unique situations that may need to be handled differently than the standard migration approach.   This vendor is great in walking through different options and finding solutions for any special handling.

One year.