Compuware ThruPut Manager Review

The service level and automated capacity manager functions allow us to control priorities, support SLA's and manage our 4HRA and reduce MLC for some software bills.

What is our primary use case?

We use TM-AE for batch job management. Not only does it help enforce some of our standards, but allows us to control where certain jobs run based on licensed software. The service level and automated capacity manager functions allow us to control priorities, support SLA's and manage our 4HRA and reduce MLC for some software bills.

How has it helped my organization?

Software access control (SAC) limits systems where some of our products are not licensed. Again, the automated capacity manager helps manage our workload and reduce priorities of discretionary work so the critical path batch jobs are completed within the policy defined at our site.

What is most valuable?

Job binding services (JBS) is used by SAC, but also helps with our datas sharing environments. Any job can have multiple affinities (like SCHENV on steroids) associated to allow the job to run in a JESMAS and find all of the resources on a particular LPAR to satisfy requirements.

Our scheduler managed batch has standard checking prior to promotion. Enforcement of JCL standards for end user desktop submitted jobs has been very positive. We change processes (especially SYSOUT classes) based on standards to manage output.

What needs improvement?

There currently is a WUI that allows an operator a single pane of glass to see how TM is performing to meet service policies within a JESMAS environment. This is a new feature and multiple individuals have expressed desire to not only see real time monitoring, but the ability to historically go back at least several hours or possibly an entire day to review history.

Three to five years.

There have been little or no issues with the software as delivered.  We maintain the ability to run directly under WLM without TM if needed, but manage ALL batch via TM to make sure we receive maximum value from the tool.

TM can run on a single member or multiple member JESMAS configuration.

All cases are responded to in a timely manner.  The always provide valuable feedback or immediate solutions to an issue.

No, prior to data sharing and other initiatives we exploited a single affinity SCHENV and only scheduled batch processing was managed for standards.

Installed product in couple of hours.  The time has been spent creating and modifying policies along with the job action language coded to exploit functions.

The vendor team met with us weekly to make sure we had the resources and answers to make our install successful.

Batch smoothing our 4HRA and implementation of group capacity profiles has allowed us to run sub-capacity and lower our MLC.

The TM team was very helpful getting us started.  They provided a detailed project plan as a guide to successful implementation.  Installing the software is very easy, but the time is spent building you policies for service levels, capacity management and action code language used to tie all of the components together.

1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment
UserUserTOP 5LEADERBOARD

I was asked to elaborate on my comments surrounding "ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT". When COMPUWARE first went GA with the WUI interface they held WEBEX sessions to ask users what they thought about this new presentation layer. Everyone in the group suggested a request for enhancement that would provide historical data to see how the product was performing during the previous shift, possibly the past 24 hours or longer. Everything is real time in the WUI. The ISPF application allows you to drill deeper into how SLM is performing (3 hours in the past).

These status displays can be found in:

Main Lobby - Automation Services
Primary Options - Display / Monitor Services
Display Options - SLM - Service Level Manager Display
Display Options - General Services
General Services Display Options - System Display
Service Group Statistics
General Services Service Group Statistics

Hope this helps and COMPUWARE TM can respond with their statement of direction regarding this enhancement.

27 February 19