Control-M Review

It automates batch run scheduling, and helps document the runs.

Valuable Features

Scheduling of the workflows: We had to run a few thousand scripts on a daily, weekly, monthly, semiannual, and annual basis. Without this tool, scheduling would have been really difficult. This tool also helps in documenting the runs, which would further enable us to check for defects.

Improvements to My Organization

It has made execution of workflows simple, especially batch runs.

Room for Improvement

We had to migrate from an E2 to an E3 framework, where we manually had to change the name of more than 1,000 instances in a batch. This could have been easy if it was automated, such as searching for a keyword and replacing it with the desired name. In BMC Control-M, this facility is only available for the file path and connection.

Use of Solution

I have used it for two years.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is 7/10. I faced an issue in which the connection was lost in the middle of a run. It was a small batch, so I managed it by rerunning it. I contacted tech support on a weekend, because I had to run a weekly batch. I didn’t see much of an immediate response from them, but they were able to sort out the issue a little later.

I have used this since I joined my current company.

Initial setup was straightforward.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It is worth the price.

Other Solutions Considered

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options.

Other Advice

It is definitely a good tool in the business intelligence domain, which can be used for small or big batch runs.

2 visitors found this review helpful