What is most valuable?
- The ability to view a history of jobs\tasks that have run: This makes troubleshooting a breeze.
- The ability to proactively forecast the runtime of a workflow: Managing SLA expectations and proactively generate alerts when the SLA won’t be met.
- Having a flow diagram of all workflows and the relationship between jobs\tasks: This is a visual representation of the entire workflow estate, which is updated in real time.
- Control modules: These are add-ons that further integrate Control-M with other third-party products, eliminating the need to write any custom code. E.g., Control-M For File Transfers makes it effortless to SFTP files externally or within the organization.
- Mass update: This feature allows for multiple fields of job definitions to be updated based on certain search criteria, with a very user-friendly interface.
How has it helped my organization?
It has given the organization visibility into how various applications relate to and depend on one another. It has reduced scripting and coding time down to almost zero with the out-of-the-box plugins.
What needs improvement?
There are many areas that have room for improvement in V7:
- Specific to Control-M for Files Transfer: Have a broader list or custom pre & post commands when running a file transfer.
- Customizable HTML shout emails, for a better user experience.
- Out-of-the-box New Day Process per table\application (This can be done with a custom user daily but requires a job to run at the specified “New Day Time”).
- Include some sort of label object (similar to a job, but only performs shouts and doesn’t have a cost), so you can categorize work flows.
Control-M V9 improves on most, if not all, of the pain points in V7.
For how long have I used the solution?
In my professional career, I’ve been using Control-M for 12 years.
What do I think about the stability of the solution?
No issues experienced with stability at all.
What do I think about the scalability of the solution?
I have not encountered any scalability issues. The way the product is tiered makes it easily scalable.
How are customer service and technical support?
I find the level of technical support (Blue Turtle Technologies) to be exceptional. Whether it is a small query or a large problem, you will always get a timeous response and often one of the support staff members will be present on-site.
Which solution did I use previously and why did I switch?
Control-M was here when I started at this organization, so I’m not sure if a different solution was previously used.
How was the initial setup?
The initial setup was fairly simple. Once all the servers and DBs were set up, the installation of Control-M Enterprise Manager, Control-M Servers and Control-M Agents was painless.
What's my experience with pricing, setup cost, and licensing?
Task-based licensing (number of active jobs) can get very expensive. Bundle multiple functions within a batch\script file.
Which other solutions did I evaluate?
I’ve tried and POCed many other workload automation\batch scheduling tools out there; none of them come close to functionality and ease-of-use as Control-M.
What other advice do I have?
Decide on bulletproof naming standards\site standards. This will make implementation and promotion of workflows incredibly easy.