Control-M Review
The Forecast and BIM features show deadlines and alert us of schedule overruns.

What is most valuable?

Control-M has a huge number of features, including:

• Cross-platform support
  • Integration with applications such as Oracle, SAP, FTP, Hadoop, JMS, and many others.
  • A GUI with various filter options that allows you to manage jobs from one screen.
  • Add-ons such as BIM, Reporting Facility, and Forecast.
  • Automated error handling allows you to define actions to be taken depending on the exit status of a job.
  • Web-based and mobile applications allow you to manage Control-M from anywhere.

How has it helped my organization?

Before implementing Control-M, SAP or FTP related jobs were triggered using scripts. With Control-M, these jobs can be triggered using modules already integrated into Control-M, reducing team effort.

Also, Forecast and BIM give us a clear picture of batch job deadlines and alerts us of schedule overruns.

What needs improvement?

The cost of Control-M is a major factor. It is difficult for small-scale organizations to use Control-M as a solution.

I have been using Control-M for 10+ years and have no issues to date.

We have not encountered any stability issues. Control-M provides a highly stable environment. Fix packs are released regularly and immediately upon discovering bugs.

We did not encounter any scalability issues. Control-M can handle multiple servers, multiple cross-platform agents, and a large number of jobs easily.

BMC technical support is great. I rate it 10 out of 10. We have received immediate help with issues.

Previously, job scheduling was done internally using a SAP scheduler, Windows Task Scheduler, and cron. However, they all had limitations and we needed a single interface to handle different types of scheduling.

Initial setup and installation of Control-M does have challenges, but BMC has good technical support. Related documentation is also available online. Once you are familiar with these, setup becomes straightforward.

Pricing is somewhat on high side. But it’s recommended for bigger organizations.

We evaluated AutoSys and IBM Tivoli Workload Scheduler, but they didn’t offer anything close to the functionality that Control-M offers.

What other advice do I have?

If you need a one-stop solution for all your automation needs, Control-M is your answer.

Free Trial

Try Control-M for free with no commitment