Control-M Review

We are able to let users access the system and manage jobs: self-service

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is automation, and it has performed fine.

How has it helped my organization?

I don't think it has actually maybe improved anything. It's a generic product. It just has some nice features. We could use a normal scheduler, like DOS, for the type of work we are doing but that would prevent self-service from users in the business, so that's why we are using BMC.

What is most valuable?

You can let users access the system and manage jobs: self-service.

What needs improvement?

I don't think that we're actually looking for new features. I think we are more looking for a better cost/license/performance model because BMC, while we could say it's the best, is also the most expensive.

More than five years.

It's just like anything else in that league. It's very stable. We are not experiencing instability or crashes. These are mature products.

The scalability is excellent.

Technical support is excellent. We called them two times in a year and there was a reply within 30 minutes, so that's good.

The only thing we would object to are the license costs. That is what we are probably most annoyed with. We are paying something like €1,000,000 over three years for having 4,000 jobs running. That's expensive.

What other advice do I have?

If you can afford it, it's good. If you do have an unlimited budget, or budget is not the main concern, and you want stability then I would say go for this. It's easy to use, it's easy to install, it's easy to run, it's easy to operate. I have a student assistant who had six hours of e-learning and she can run the system. That's good. Yes, you need the right student assistant but she doesn't have any IT background. It's very easy to use but also an expensive product.

In terms of criteria when selecting a vendor, if I am to decide the vendor, it would be the biggest bang for the buck and then it would be quality, stability, and support. That is my job as manager of the IT department and therefore I have to ensure that we are getting the most value for the money.

The only reason I am rating it eight out of 10 is simply the cost. From a technical point of view, we could actually make the same jobs run from the DOS prompt, with the same stability. I think that we are paying a lot for having self-service, for having nice monitoring. I think we're paying a lot for that.

1 Comment
Chuck SeeleyReal UserTOP 5

Hello.
I've read through your article and have a potential suggestion. If you haven't looked closely at your contract with BMC for Control-M, you should, and find out exactly what contributes to the licensing cost.

If you don't have that contract and/or don't fully understand the language within, reach out to your BMC Account Manager and ask for details as to how that costs are calculated.

Also, as Head of IT Procurement, you may or may not understand the language of Control-M and its implications as stated by the contract.

Suggestion here would be to collaborate with your Control-M experts internal to your company (perhaps even along with BMC), to reach a better understanding.

Once everyone has a complete understanding, your Control-M experts may have some ideas as to better managing the Control-M environment to help mitigate some of those seemingly high licensing costs.

That said, my feeling is Control-M (and BMC's add-on solutions to Control-M) is an outstanding product and has many capabilities, so make sure you're also getting everything out of it you can.

Good luck !