Cortex XDR by Palo Alto Networks Review

Great machine learning capabilities, a strong cloud platform and good overall features

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use this solution for my clients. I don't use the solution myself.

What is most valuable?

I can call the tweak responses or other items that the customer doesn't like very easily due to the fact that this solution is on the cloud

It collects and caches and the knowledge of machine learning from different customers to take to the cloud. It makes it better to use for everybody. It allows for quick learning and updates and can, therefore, offer zero-day malware security. This sharing of metadata helps make the solution very safe.

Even the firewalls have their signatures. It takes from different resources and takes note of everything.

The exploits and malware technology are really good.

What needs improvement?

It's my understanding that this solution is at end-of-life.

It's hard to use as a product. It's not easy or straightforward. Especially when I deal with a government sector or other sensitive industries. They do not accept that it's so easy to share metadata outside their organization. They prefer on-prem even if it is not as powerful due to the fact that they perceive it as being more secure.

The solution can never really be an on-premises solution based simply on the way it is set up. It needs metadata to run and improve. Having an on-premises solution would cut it off from making improvements.

The deployment is pretty hard. Competitors like Trend Micro or Symantec have features on their console that make them easier to use. This solution does not offer items that would increase its usability.

Before I moved to technical sales, I handled implementation, and I remember it being very difficult. They need to improve this aspect.

The solution provides a lot of false positives. The average amount of false positives you get is 5%. It would be great if this could be lowered.

I've been using the solution for a year and a half.

Security people usually think it's a very powerful solution. However, government teams always worry about the security of the cloud and always need to send approvals. Since this solution is not a normal endpoint, it can be a bit tricky for compliance purposes.

At the same time, it does its job. It's very good at vulnerability management.

That said, it is really not really flexible to make deployments on certain platforms. It's really complicated. Sometimes the solution falls off.

We've contacted technical support in the past and they are very good. They are usually quite capable of closing the issue for us. They're also great if we're working out a new configuration or doing a completely new implementation. We're satisfied with their level of service.

The initial setup is not straightforward. It's not that it's complex per se. It's difficult.

The IVR needs to be reached on the outside. You need to make it to the server and that's connected to the database that communicates with the agent properly. You have to push the agents and put the sensors inside the network.

We're an integrator; we implement this solution for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

We have a partnership with Palo Alto. I'm a consultant, I'm pre-sales as a technical sales engineer. I try to show the value of any product for the customer. I don't actually use the solution myself.

The solution does not have an on-premises option. It's only available on the cloud.

For XDR new users just need to make sure they have the right policies in place. The solution does offer pre-configured policies. Organizations will want to make sure it is actually fitting them in the places where they will be working best. It's important as well that they don't make it a default selection. Users need to make sure that it's really configured and whitelisted and everything fits the organization.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. I'd rate it higher, however, the deployment process is poor even though the features are decent. Competitors like Carbon Black have much easier deployments.

More Cortex XDR by Palo Alto Networks reviews from users