Cortex XDR by Palo Alto Networks Review

This is a recommended solution for total end-to-end protection

What is our primary use case?

We are still in the testing stages so there is not currently any primary use case beyond the base use of endpoint protection.

What is most valuable?

Cortex has several good features that I am interested in. There is a nice Sandbox function that is very strong, there is the Traps (endpoint protection) solution, the real-time filtering of suspect linkages is good, and the automatic blocking of suspect behavior is always active and protecting the network.

What needs improvement?

As an improvement, I would like to see enhanced connection speeds. On China's side, we need to set up a local server for the definition updates, and the performance has not been very good for the company when directly connected to the internet. We are a little disappointed with that.

We have been using Cortex XDR (Extended Detection and Response) for around two months.

It is stable. From the moment we installed it has been up with no restarts of maintenance until now.

I think that this product is scalable. The testing environment we use right now has around 200 users. In the future, when we deploy it to the company we will move up to around 4,000 users.

The technical support is okay. They have already helped us to fix the installation and then we had an issue and they were available for correction of the problem. They also have made some useful suggestions. So the support team is okay in my estimation.

We have been exploring a similar solution. Right now I am also doing testing on Sentinel at the center. This is a similar solution. But we have only just begun testing Sentinel, so we do not really have enough experience with it to comment on the product.

As we just started with Cortex and we are using a cloud solution, I do not have the impression that it was difficult to install and begin using.

The setup costs are a bit higher than some other solutions. Overall it is a little bit expensive, I think. If we could get it for around a 10% discount then that would be a better price point for us.

For our pricing plan, we are not on a subscription, so we do not have to pay every month. We have a yearly license for the product.

The approximate amount we pay per license is around $80 per user per year.

What other advice do I have?

My suggestion for people considering this product is that Cortex is a very good total solution on the endpoints. Because I needed Cortex to work for external and internal users and devices, it helps that it is cloud-based because it is good for working in the office or other locations. So we wanted to have the total end-to-end protection including on the mobile devices, that is what we got. This product will be a good suggestion for people who need the same capability.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Cortex XDR as around nine-out-of-ten. The cost is the reason it would not be higher. Nine is good but this is a very good product except for the cost.

More Cortex XDR by Palo Alto Networks reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with McAfee Endpoint Security
Learn what your peers think about Cortex XDR by Palo Alto Networks. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,719 professionals have used our research since 2012.