Coverity Review

Integrates well with Jenkins and GitLab, and has helped us find errors before going into production

What is our primary use case?

We have a development team and we are using this product for static code analysis.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has definitely helped our organization. Based on what I have heard from the development team, they have found a lot of issues before code goes into production.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the integration with Jenkins. Jenkins can be used to automatically run it to perform the code analysis.

Integration with GitLab is helpful.

What needs improvement?

Coverity is too costly, which is why we are trying other tools. Ideally, it would have a user-based license that does not have a restriction in the number of lines of code.

We have been using Coverity for between five and six years.

Coverity is used across our entire organization.

The initial setup in the Windows environment was straightforward. However, for Linux, it has some complexity.

We have a separate team in the company that takes care of deployment. One person is enough for the task

The licensing fees are based on the number of lines of code. We may not need more than five user licenses but with a restriction on the number of lines of code, for a small company the cost will shoot up.

Our license for Coverity has expired and we are in the process of exploring new static code analysis tools. Ideally, we would like to have one that is low-cost.

One of the products that I have downloaded a trial version for is SonarQube. At this point, I have only installed the Windows version but I plan on testing the Linux version, as well.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a helpful product and the feedback that I have heard from the development team is good.

More Coverity reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with SonarQube
Learn what your peers think about Coverity. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
457,209 professionals have used our research since 2012.