CrossBrowserTesting Review

An easy way to run tests across hundreds of browsers

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is to run an online analytics company which requires JavaScript compatibility across all browsers. We use this tool to test and deploy release updates whenever changes are made. Also, they have a Selenium portal which is useful for doing browser testing for our administrative interface and automated user testing. Finally, they have the ability to launch live browser environments. This is invaluable in diagnosing customer issues and replicating problems within specific browsers.

How has it helped my organization?

We would not be able to provide our services without their tools. Their tools, or ones like it, are absolutely essential for us to provide high quality and continuous integration for our services.

What is most valuable?

• Live browser testing: Testing customer issues.
  • Selenium access: Automated testing of the administrative interface, as well as automatic testing for new JavaScript releases of our tracking snippet.
  • The screen shot portal is essential for an easy way to run tests across hundreds of browsers and retrieve screenshots which then indicate success or failure.

What needs improvement?

Web user interface is "heavy" and slow to load. Some browser configurations do not work at all times. Account limits do not allow you to queue jobs - you must wait to submit until jobs complete. Could use improvements in ability to tag on create screen.

More than five years.

Sometimes, some of their instances fail, particularly in older versions of browsers. However, if you request these instances again, they succeed. I am guessing it is difficult to maintain legacy systems (particularly ones older than five to eight years).

No issues.

The few times that I have had to work with their customer support, they have been responsive and addressed issues immediately. Overall, it has only been a few times over the past few years, and each time I have had my issue addressed and felt like they were attentive and responsive.

We previous use BrowserCam, and they went out of business.

It is very easy to set up. Their Selenium environment has good documentation and their sample code works easily. Otherwise, the web app portion of the product is easy to use and work with.

We implemented in-house.

If our service goes down or has a JavaScript error on particular browsers, our customers would notice and look for alternatives. I am able to continuously test my new releases across browser versions without issues.

We did evaluate others, but I do not recall the competition. CrossBrowserTesting offered the best value for its price.