CrowdStrike Falcon Review

Detailed incident reporting, stable, and the technical support team is well trained

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is digital security investigations using the dashboard.

How has it helped my organization?

Every week, a manager would look at a detailed report to see what kind of CrowdStrike incidents we had.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the indicator of compromise, which shows you what file was either quarantined or removed. It shows you the malicious files in question, as well as the exact time, the machine, the endpoint, and the host IP address. Everything you need to know is right there in a single dashboard.

What needs improvement?

Any kind of integration that you want to do, such as using the API to connect to a SIEM, is complex and it will be expensive to do. It is quite a pricey product.

I used CrowdStrike Falcon in my last two cybersecurity jobs, over a period of at least two years.

The product is stable as a rock. I have never seen any crashes. When it came to patching updates, we were always notified. It is not Windows-based, but rather Linux or Unix-based. It was more stable than any Windows product.

We had a small shop, so we never had any reason to scale.

The technical support is pretty good. They're trained in their product and they have a system in place where if the first line of support does not resolve the issue, they are emailing us directly back and forth, and they'll hand over the problem from one shift to the next.

It is not very difficult to get in touch with the support team, although it does require clearance from whoever handles the money aspect. You have to be really careful because they will charge you fees for any kind of solution that they provide.

I have used them twice, once for each company that I was working for. The first time, we used the CrowdStrike service to do the investigation so that we could focus our time on other products. They have teams that will act like a managed service provider to take care of incidents. We handled major incidents in-house but we let them handle the minor ones.

With the second company, we had to do the investigations as the incidents came in, so it was two totally separate vantage points. Both worked extremely well in both manners and forms.

CrowdStrike was already in place before I arrived, at both places where I have used it.

We were also using Carbon Black, as well as other tools, but they were not being used to the same degree. I think that we were using Carbon Black for white-listing applications.

I also spent a lot of time using Nessus, which is a vulnerability scanner. I would look at scans to see what kind of vulnerabilities were present, and patch management updates with other teams.

I was not there for the initial setup, but what I did learn was that the implementation team came in and worked with our engineering team. They set it up and then our team verified that all of the endpoints where there and that we had the visibility we needed for all of the subnets in all of the locations.

When I spoke with my teammate, I was told that it was pretty much straightforward and out of the box. The fact that it is a cloud-based deployment made it easier, too.

Our licensing fees were between $50,000 and $60,000 per year, which was pretty expensive for a small business. It is not a one-time payment. Any upgrades that you want to do, you're going to have to pay multiple times.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing CrowdStrike Falcon is to get in touch with the vendor and then follow best practices. They have a lot of documentation and everything is there. For the most part, I would suggest looking at the technical support documentation first and then contacting a representative at the vendor to continue the process.

Most companies have it integrated with the SIEM and with their ticketing system, although I did not use it in that capacity because it costs more money.

Most of the time, you're not going to have to lay a finger. Once it finds an infected file, you might have to reboot the computer if it can't immediately remove it, or other such minor stuff. In general, however, it's never given me any issues and it's never given me a headache. Overall, it's very straightforward and just one tool out of the whole.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

More CrowdStrike Falcon reviews from users
...who work at a Hospitality Company
...who compared it with CylancePROTECT
Get Fast and Easy Protection Against All Threats

Protect your organization from all threats - not just malware - even when computers and servers aren’t connected to the internet. Start your free trial and deploy CrowdStrike Falcon within minutes to start receiving full threat protection.